Thursday, March 20, 2008

A Post About Nothing

So a lot of you are already done with co-op for the quarter. However, out here in the Godless state of California, we work on Good Friday. No, no, that's not true, plenty of people out here are done with work, too. I'm not, I have work tomorrow. It's okay though, it should be a good day.

Anyway, last weekend, Lindsey Meyer sent me the address of the apartment building here in LA that they used for establishing shots of Jerry's apartment on Seinfeld. I know, I know, the show was set in New York, but just like every other sitcom (including Friends), it was filmed out here. I know, it still doesn't make sense that they would use an LA building for an establishing shot that could very easily be photographed in Manhattan. It makes even less sense when you take into account the fact that many other true New York sites were used in Seinfeld establishing shots, like Monk's (the "Restaurant") being actual NYC site Tom's Restaurant.

I don't claim to have the answers, maybe Lindsey or Andrew do. I did, however, set out on Tuesday during my lunch break to find the building. The address of the building is 757 New Hampshire Ave, and when I looked it up on google maps I found it to be just down Santa Monica a ways, so I got on the bus and headed there.

When I got to the 700 block of New Hampshire Ave, I was crushed when I found this:


I couldn't believe that they would actually tear down the Seinfeld apartment! And replace it with a parking lot and a driving range, no less! How disgusting. I mean, it really is a piece of history. I called Andrew and told him the bad news. Needless to say, he was crushed. He said he wasn't going to have any reason to come visit me out here in the summer now. I told him we still had the San Diego Zoo. I called Lindsey, too, but she didn't pick up, which was probably a good thing. I didn't really want the bad news to make her cry.

I went back to work and did some more searching on the internet, baffled that the building was torn down so recently. However, as I was looking on google, I saw that there was actually a North New Hampshire Ave and a South New Hampshire Ave, and both have a 757! How stupid is that? Like there aren't enough numbers in the world to not repeat on the same street?

Obviously I was very relieved that there was still hope, and if I went to S. New Hampshire I might find it. Andrew was relieved, too.

This morning, I woke up and realized if I got ready quickly I would have plenty of time to go to South New Hampshire to find the building. Well I did, and after two fairly painless bus rides, I made it. The street was a block or two over from the bus stop, and just looking over at the street I knew I was in the right place. Soon, I found myself looking at 757 S. New Hampshire.


That's the view from one direction. It's pretty funny how just about every other tree on the street besides the ones in front of the apartment are palm trees. The building itself does do a good job of looking like New York. Here's a shot looking down the street in the other direction.


It's funny because the building is in an area of the city called Korea Town, and signs on the buildings around the apartment are all in Korean. It's not a great area, but it could be worse. Does it still not look very familiar? Here's a shot similar to one that they actually used on the show:


It's kind of weird that the street is a bit of a hill, I never really noticed that on the show. I guess its all in how they shoot it. From what Lindsey tells me, it actually was called the Shelley on the show, too. Make sure you note in the picture above the guy in blue sitting out front looking at me. He looked like he was really confused and didn't understand why I was taking pictures. I think he thought I was going to come back and rob the place.

Does it still not look very familiar? Well, here's the money shot I took. The one that is most similar to what they'd do on the show. I added the Seinfeld logo to make it look even more authentic.


Pretty cool, eh? Just try and look at the picture above without the theme song bopping into your head. Yeah, so I'm really glad I went. It was a lot of fun and really cool to see in person. In true New York spirit, I was able to take the Subway up to Hollywood from where I was, which was excellent. I do love the subway.

So tomorrow is my last day of work. Man it flew by. I can't wait for Amanda to come and for us to go to Disneyland. It's going to be a blast! I hope everybody that's traveling has a fun and safe Easter weekend and spring break!

Don't worry, the blog isn't finished yet, I still have a week of life out here.

Keep it real everybody.

much love,
Alex

1 comment:

Matthew said...

great detective work Agent Ogle!

i'm glad you did not give up the first time...those pictures are really sweet...i'm jealous that you have been to a historic landmark haha

you have had quite the adventure...especially now that you have rubbed elbows with the Disney's themselves

i'm glad i was able to come out and share a bit in the experience

i will probably be in San Fran for the summer so maybe we can visit each other if money and time afford us the opportunity

that's all for now

p.s...you should keep blogging about life after Hollywood...i really like your writing and am always curious to hear what God is doing in your life and just funny stuff that happens in general...so keep it up :)