Sunday, March 2, 2008

Lazy Sunday

So this weekend has been one of the more low-key weekends of my co-op. Yesterday was a pretty cloudy and cold day, but that was ok because I wanted to use the afternoon to work on flyer designs for Mosaic.

Just to explain a little more, the flyer I've been asked to make is for Big Sunday. Big Sunday is pretty much this huge weekend of community service in and around Los Angeles. In fact I think its the biggest annual community service event in the country. The weekend doesn't have any political or religious agenda, and different groups and companies get involved in helping. My flyer is to spread the word through Mosaic. Unfortunately the weekend is May 3, so I won't be around here for it.

I worked on three different styles. They're all pretty graphic styles, since I wanted to try use photos that I took personally, and the originals of my distance shots of the city went down with the hard drive.

Here you go, check them out for yourself:

The first design and style I made is probably my favorite. It's obviously very graphic. The perspective lines aren't perfect right now and neither is the leaning of the website and date. Still, I think this one's pretty cool.


The second design I worked on is a pretty big departure from the first. I took one of my favorite shots of the Disney Concert Hall and played around with it in photoshop, then brought it into illustrator where I traced over all of the edges and made the hall building a little darker. This one's probably my least favorite, but I still think it's alright.


The third one is again a bit of a departure but uses the same photo from the Observatory that I traced for the first design. Since I only had a small version of the photo, I first played with it in photoshop to make it look like it was a little nicer of a day, then I took it into illustrator where I did a live trace so I could make it much larger. After I made it, I didn't really like it, but then I played with the type and tried laying it out a bit more interestingly, and now I'm more of a fan of it. I still don't know if the red works, though. We'll see.


Finally, since I liked the first design so much, I decided to try laying it out in landscape format. I also tried out a different color sky, which was actually the original color of the sky from the first design. Check it out.


Anyway, you can feel free to tell me what you think of these, if there are any you might like or if you think maybe I should give up and try and find a new major. I'm looking forward to talking to Adrian and Annie at the Mayan this afternoon to see what they think.


The other big news this weekend is that Friday at work Anette (one of my supervisors) came over to sit and talk with Dave and I, and while we were talking the subject of interns came up, so Dave asked me if I was coming back this summer. He knew I want to, but I think was just trying to ask in front of Anette to see what she would say. So I said, "of course...if they want me back", and Anette said, "of course we do!"

So pretty much that's awesome. To be invited back to someplace as cool as crew is quite the honor and will make for a lot of fun this summer. I'm just not going to think about how hot it will be here, I guess there's no humidity, though, so it won't be too bad. Plus I can go to the beach all the time.

Aside from that, I've got a pretty big day coming up tomorrow. I don't really need it to be too big, but a lot of people are saying they want to take me out, so we'll see what happens.

There's a chance I might try and make it down to San Diego on Saturday to meet up with Gaines to go to Legoland. It would be pretty awesome. The park is mostly for little kids, but they have like 15 foot tall lego recreations of New York City and stuff. We might just have to make that happen.

I'm sure I'll give you an update in the next few days!

Until then,

much love,
Alex

6 comments:

Andrew Jarrell said...

I like that first design a lot. Go with that.

And I had an exciting thought today involving me coming to California for a visit this summer. Seriously this time. We'll have to talk about that at some point.

Ok, have a great day!

Unknown said...

I like the 3rd design the best, believe it or not. They all look really good, though!

Unknown said...

I just noticed the awesome new design at the top of the page. Keep up the good work.

Thoughts From Behind the Counter said...

The first design is the best...Happy 21st!

Allan said...

Needs more gradients. :)

Kevin Wilson said...

alex you should just stop being a designer