Friday, February 15, 2008

Exploring Mornings

So folks, it is the weekend at last. Here're a few pictures and highlights from the times in the past week or so when I've gotten up to Hollywood early enough to explore a little before work.

I took this picture probably a week and a half ago in front of the Chinese Theatre while up on Hollywood Blvd. They're definitely my favorite cement footprints of all those at the Theatre.


I get a kick out of Darth Vader's signature. It's not really as evil as you might expect. Looks like it was actually Anthony Daniels, I wonder if it was David Prowse and Kenny Baker? Probably not.

I think this picture was from this past Monday or Tuesday morning. I walked back up to Sunset past the Henson Studios. I was mostly just hoping to catch a glimpse of Brian or Lisa Henson, or maybe Steve Whitmire or Dave Goelz. Don't know who they are? Google it. Unfortunately, I didn't see any of them.

I did, however, look up at Kermit's statue, and contemplated why he's dressed so classy with the tuxedo, hat and cane and all. Very quickly it hit me that the Henson Studio is, as I mentioned, the Historic Charlie Chaplin Studio, and Kermit is dressed like Charlie Chaplin to pay homage to him. As if you didn't love the Henson Company enough already, right?


Speaking of Charlie Chaplin, a week or so ago I was crossing the street with one of my co-workers, and a dead-on Charlie Chaplin impersonator rode his bicycle right across the street past us and made sure to look us straight in the eye as he passed. He had the mustache and everything. Dave and I just stopped because his resemblance was so impressive, but because we're a few blocks from the center of Hollywood, we're not used to seeing characters out and about like that.

Let's see, oh and here's a picture from this past Wednesday or Thursday when I decided to take the bus all the way up to Hollywood and Vine, so I could scope out the area then take the Subway back to Hollywood and Highland.

As I got off the bus I saw the Capitol Records Tower which is pretty cool. I also was right across the street from the Pantages, the home of the West Coast's Wicked production. I still haven't seen it out here. I'd definitely like to, but probably only with the lottery discount. Still, it's very cool to see the Theatre all decked out.


As you'll tell from these pictures, the weather here has just been terrible every single day.

The Hollywood and Vine Subway station is pretty insanely awesome. The one great thing about Los Angeles Metro is that the Subway is new and clean. Every subway station is cool and unique. I walked into the Hollywood and Vine station and noticed that the ceiling had a very cool circular pattern to it. However, when I got closer to the ceiling down on the Subway platform, I looked up and saw that the entire ceiling of the hollywood and vine subway station is covered in empty film reels! It's pretty freaking sweet. There must be thousands upon thousands of film reels in this place, because when I say the entire ceiling is covered in film reels, I mean the whole ceiling! Sorry, no pictures right now, I'll see what I can do in the future, though.

Most mornings when I go exploring up too far on Sunset or Hollywood Blvd. I end up not making it to work until like 9:35 or 9:40 or so. Nobody really notices or cares that I'm a little late when I am, but I still feel bad.

in other news:

The Writer's Strike ended on Wednesday! That's very cool. There hasn't been any noticeable change between during the strike and after that I have seen. I was hoping for some kind of a a huge parade or party in Hollywood when the strike ended, but there wasn't one. I guess the Oscars will pretty much be like that anyway. Still, it's awesome that the town and its people are back to work. It won't be too very long now until the Office comes back (in the middle of April, I think) and we might actually end up getting 13 episodes of Lost this season too!

If you didn't watch Lost last night, man oh man was it amazing. You need to see it ASAP. Things are really getting crazy.


CELEBRITY SIGHTING #2

I had my second celebrity sighting this week during a lunch-time run to Target with the coworkers. It's probably not as exciting as Bill Nye, but it was still pretty cool.

On Thursday at the West Hollywood Target I saw Jonah Hill from Superbad and Knocked Up. It was pretty sweet. He was completely alone just shopping and stuff. He had a massive beard going (see imdb for recent pictures of him) but it was definitely him.

Two solid celebrity sightings is pretty sweet. I thought maybe I saw Creed Bratton from the Office drive by in a car at the bus stop tonight, but I didn't get a good look, so it probably was my imagination.

Anyway, that's it for now. I've got to get to bed because I'm getting up bright and early to go downtown and do some volunteering at a rescue mission's warehouse with folks from Mosaic. I'm really excited about it, looking forward to serving and getting to know more awesome people.

I'm surprised how much I'm learning to love Los Angeles. Who would have known L.A. actually has a heart and soul? As long as I stay far enough away from Orange County and Laguna Beach, at least. Ha, just kidding, of course.

Have a great weekend!

much love,
Alex

2 comments:

Tori Lennox said...

Alex, I just recently found your blog and I'm thoroughly loving reading about your Adventures in Hollywood. :)

Allan said...

When I was little, we had a video about the making of Star Wars. It was made in the 70's, right after A New Hope came out. In that video, they actually show the droids making those footprints you saw. Kind of weird to see them dry and 30 years old. : P