Monday, February 25, 2008

The Good, the Bad, and the Ogley

Ok, so after the weekend, I've got some good news, and some not so good news.

First the not so good news:

With everything pretty awesome here in LA, I guess something bad was going to happen. Now don't worry, it's nothing really bad or traumatic or anything. It's just that Saturday night as I was writing my blog post my Powerbook laptop started to slow down. Yesterday morning when I turned my computer on it took about an hour to turn on, and then it was barely working at a crawling speed. Last night, I turned on my computer to find nothing but the really bad news:

The blinking question mark of death.

It sucks but it could be worse. My computer isn't making loud clicks at start-up like it did the last time my hard drive died. I'm hoping all it's going to take is a reboot and re-installation. Thank the computer gods for external hard drives, as mine has everything I absolutely need on it.

I'm hoping I don't actually have to pay for any fixes, since I've had this one for a while and don't know how much longer it is until something really expensive happens to make me buy a new one. I don't want to have to use all the money I've made so far on co-op to buy a new laptop, but the MacBook Pro is pretty freaking sweet. With any luck a reboot will do the trick and my Powerbook will be back in business.

Until I get some kind of resolution, the frequency of blog posts might slow down a bit, as I'll really only be able to write updates while at work.

Let this be a lesson to everyone, that you should always buy as much AppleCare as possible. If I had bought the 3 years of AppleCare it would've paid for itself a year ago.


Now for the good news:

The Oscars! The show was pretty good last night. I thought Jon Stewart did a great job. Sure, the only movie nominated for best picture or any of the major awards that I saw was Juno, but it was still a good time. To see all the stars celebrating the end of the strike and the return of the magic of Hollywood was pretty awesome.

I thought all five of the best song nomination performances were great. Can you imagine the pressure on Amy Adams singing that song on stage alone in front of all those people? She's great.

The August Rush song was pretty good. I'd still like to see that movie.

Kristin Chenoweth has the perfect personality to sing That's How You Know, but her voice wasn't as perfect as Amy Adams' in the movie. It's hard not to be biased towards what you've heard thousands of times too, I guess.

Jon McLaughlin gave what I thought was the best musical performance of the night in "So Close."

At first when the song from Once was being performed I thought to myself, "This is the song that's going to beat Enchanted?" But as their performance went on, I realized that it really is a very cool song full of emotion and hope and has made me want to see Once pretty badly. Plus their winning made for a very cool story.

Considering Alan Menken has already won 8 Academy Awards, the third most of anyone ever, I can't imagine he's too disappointed that Once won. Having written three out of the five songs nominated for best song isn't too bad of an accomplishment, especially considering the other musicals and original songs this year. Rob Thomas did deserve a nod for "Little Wonders" from Meet the Robinsons, though.

Anyway, another of my favorite moments from the Oscars was when Jon Stewart said there was a 707 parked on La Brea, because not only was it funny when John Travolta ran out, but La Brea is the street my bus drives up every morning. It's the little things about living in LA that make it so much fun...


Anyway, that's it for now. Hopefully my computer comes back to life soon. Have a great week everybody!

Until next time,
much love,
Alex

3 comments:

lindsey said...

fantastic pun. i am proud.

Amanda Carmen Bower said...

I'm with Linds on that one. Ogley You're a clever one, Alex Ogle.

Allan said...

So you're hard drive is acting up...that's weird. My hard drive died Saturday morning. Unfortunately, I am a moron, and none of my data is backed up. Which means, I am going to have to pay an exorbitant fee for data recovery. :( My laptop is only 1 year old, though, so my warranty should cover the new hard drive. That's something to be happy about, I guess.

Hope you get your computer working again, although if you don't, you'll get to take advantage of the new line of MBPs that were just rolled out, with multi touch integration. That would be pretty sweet.