Monday, January 7, 2008

On the Job

My First Day at work:

I woke up this morning, got ready and headed out to the bus for my first day of work.  And what a beautiful day it was.  The sun was shining, the sky was clear, and the mountains looked beautiful off in the distance.  It looked like a classic California day.  (Don't worry, it doesn't all spiral out of control or anything, this was a good day.)  

At work, the day started with a meeting where everybody went into the conference room and the bosses talked about the statuses of different projects.  The meeting got me very excited because Crew Creative is doing some work for some awesome movies.  Unfortunately, I signed a non-disclosure agreement today, so I can't post details about these projects until they go live.  Anyway, the people there all seem very cool.  Many of them introduced themselves and talked to me, helping me feel more comfortable.  They are all very hip and "california-like" which is an adjective I've been using a lot in the past few days.  Today I just sat at my computer and hung out and filled out paperwork, but I think tomorrow I'll actually start getting to work.   I'm really looking forward to the job and working with these people.  It'll be hard work and intense at times, but I can't wait.

After swinging by the Hollywood Target to grab a few clothing items (I was made fun of at work for being too over-dressed), I got back on the bus to come home.  It wasn't too much of an eventful trip, except for the old Japanese man from Mexico (that's what he told me) who sat next to me on one leg of the ride.  I couldn't really tell what he was saying when he was talking to me, but I think he was upset that money he had to pay in bills and taxes and whatnot was going to help disabled people pay insurance.  He was spurred to say these things when two guys in wheelchairs got on the bus.  I don't really know what he was saying, but I did my best to smile and nod as much as possible.  He asked me a few times if I was in school, and then asked me where I was from and if I liked Los Angeles.  I told him yes, and he told me a little about how Mexico is better, about how there were open spaces and that it was very beautiful.  I've only ever been to Cancun, but that was nice, so when I nodded they were nods of truth.  When I got up to leave he asked me my name and we exchanged names.  As we did he held out his hand and it soon became evident he was looking for a fist pound, but I had already committed to a regular shake, so we shook and I got off the bus at my stop.  

It was a small but fun occurrence on the bus, and made my first day on the job even more interesting.

That's it for now.  I hope all you UC kids had a great first day of the quarter, too, and everybody is encouraged to post comments on this blog.  It makes it more fun.  

Until next time
peace out
-Alex

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Friends don't let non-disclosure agreements get between friends. You can tell me.

Sounds like you're having a good time so far! I'm enjoying reading about it. Keep up the good work.