Sunday, January 27, 2008

Dalmation/Relaxation

So this weekend was a little more low-key, and it was good.

I'll probably still manage to stretch this post to some obscene length.

Ha, well, Friday night after work I went bowling with my roommate Rob and a few of his friends at lanes nearby. His friends were all in like their late twenties/early thirties and married or close to it, but they were nice people and it was fun. Plus it was Extreme Bowling, or Cosmic Bowling as we call it in the Burgh, unfortunately, I only bowled really well before they turned on the black lights, then I started doing worse.

Saturday was a relatively low-key, but still fun day. I went for a run in the morning, and luckily the weather was beautiful in the morning. The temperature was perfect and the sun was shining. Played some Exile on Mainstream and I was in business. However, as the day went by, the rain and storms came as they have in the past few days. Still, the good thing about rain is that when it rains in the city, the mountains get snow, and then they look cool. I love seeing the mountains. They're one of my favorite things about this place.


Saturday night, Jenn (from my daap studio) and I went to the El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood to see 101 Dalmations. As I've mentioned before, the El Capitan is the old Hollywood movie house that fell into disrepair until Disney bought it probably 10 years ago or so. Now they've restored it to its former glory (much like the New Amsterdam on Broadway) and now they show Disney movies there in grand Hollywood style.

Jenn and I opted for the VIP tickets, and for 20 bucks you get premium seating in the center orchestra or balcony section, a tub of popcorn and a bottle of pop. Not too bad of a deal. One of the cool things about the theatre is that when you walk in the organist plays a medley of Disney songs until showtime. Their resident organist was very good, and apparently has won some awards.


You can tell in the picture above that the stage is very beautiful and cool, and the rest of the theatre didn't disappoint either. Here's a shot of one of the boxes.


After the previews, we got to enjoy a great new animated short, "How to Hook up Your Home Theater" starring Goofy and in the style of the great classic "How to" Goofy cartoons. It was very funny, and hopefully is the first of many more to come.

After the short, the sparkly curtain closed again and Goofy came out on stage, and soon Cruella De Vil appeared as well. She made some jokes about Goofy being a dog and how much she loved dogs. She also poked fun at some audience members and was upset that Goofy had his own cartoon. Then Goofy reminded her that her movie was next. Cruella was then happy, and she and Goofy started to dance together. At their big finale, confetti canons shot little black and white "spots" into the air. It wasn't a big elaborate production, but was still fun and a nice touch.


The movie itself looked great, as it was the restored version coming out on dvd in a few weeks. Eventually, your ears kind of drown out the talking and in a few cases crying kids, and it was very cool to see a classic old movie like that on the big screen. Although the theatre was probably not even half full, everyone seemed to enjoy themselves and clapped at the end of the movie. I've also learned after watching the movie that kids laugh the most when bad guys get hit with hard objects. It's a good thing to know.

I wanted to make sure I saw 101 Dalmations at the El Capitan this weekend because the next movies are all ones I don't really have any desire to see. Next weekend, The Hannah Montana Concert Movie starts, then after that comes Step Up 2: The Streets (a PG-13 movie that Disney isn't even releasing under their Walt Disney Pictures banner, but rather under their more adult Touchstone Pictures, whats the deal with that? Bad Form, Disney.) Who knows, though, maybe it will be good. Anyway after Step Up 2 in March comes College Road Trip with Martin Lawrence and Raven Simone. Nothing I want to see. Ohh well, at least I got to enjoy the El Capitan at least once while I'm out here.

After the movie, Jenn and I stopped by In-N-Out Burger, California's favorite fast food joint, and it was very delicious. The wait for food after you ordered from the cashier was about 10 minutes or so, and the drive through line was about 6 or 7 cars long. I could see myself getting skyline-like cravings for In-N-Out on occasion.

Today, has just been a day of relaxing, reading, getting some work done, and hanging out at the apartment. Its been storming off and on all day and weekend, so I thought I'd just relax today and it was a good choice.

I'm looking forward to work and the week. I think my bosses are starting to like me. Not to say that I thought they didn't like me, but on Friday, one of the creative directors said to me, "You're always smiling....that's a good thing." I definitely didn't feel like I was always smiling, but it's cool to hear things like that. I definitely want to make the best impression I can. Working at Crew has been and will continue to be such an awesome experience.

LOST starts back up on Thursday night and I am SO EXCITED. I think I'm going to go watch the season 3 finale before I go to bed tonight. To everyone who abandoned Lost in the second or third seasons because they thought it got stupid, you're wrong, and you should borrow the dvd's from a friend or at least watch the free Lost recaps and previews on itunes, because this season is sure to be AMAZING. Man I'm excited. Thursday night @ 8 on abc.
Find Yourself.

If you're reading this blog, chances are good that I think you're awesome and miss you very much. If you've come across this blog by some other means and don't know me, if you've enjoyed what you've read then you and I would probably get along in real life, and I wish you well just the same.

I'm off to watch me some Lost before bed. Have a great week, call me I'd love to talk and hear how you're doing!

much love,
Alex

4 comments:

Allan said...

"To everyone who abandoned Lost in the second or third seasons because they thought it got stupid, you're wrong..."

That would be me. : P I actually saw a preview for this new season when I was at the theater recently, and I was aggravatingly intrigued. Curse them, I swore they would never drag me in again!

Sigh.

Anyway, I also saw the Goofy short at a movie I went to with my siblings, and I was surprised at how well they matched it to the old styles. I'm a fan of the Disney animation of old, but as you know, I am less than impressed with most of their contemporary work. That short, however, I enjoyed. Really makes me look forward to next year when we will be forced to switch over to an HDTV. When did a TV turn into such an ordeal? I remember when we had a TV with a knob to change channels. And I'm only 22!

Glad you're having such a great time. I still would like to know what kind of work they have you doing there. When you get a chance, send me an email or a message on Facebook or something. See you in the spring!

Aaron said...

mmmmmm.... In-N-Out....soooo good....

Aaron said...

We may not see eye-to-eye on Disney, but I must tip my hat to 101 Dalmations as one of the best. Great that you got to see it on the big screen.

Cool that you made it out to Hollywood—and yes, In-N-Out is pretty amazing.

Enjoy Lost tonight—I'll have to wait until Friday until I'm able to get ahold of it. I hate having to avoid spoilers all day, but that's the downside of Europe;)

Keep on keeping on man. Looking forward to reading more of your adventures.

Amanda Carmen Bower said...

Ok, its time for a new post! Also, you could think about only having like ... two or three posts per page so the scroll bar isn't FOREVER long. Have a happy Friday, love!